A study of the historical development, organizational structure, major features, and
mission of the Catholic Church. The Participant will be able to:
- Define the linguistic roots of the word “Church” (ekklesia, kyriake).
- Name the three primary images of Church from Lumen Gentium: People of God, Body of Christ, and Temple of the Holy Spirit.
- Explain how each image provides an optic into the full meaning of the Church. List the marks of the Church and explain their importance.
- Explain how the Church with one mission uses persons in different roles (lay and ordained) to accomplish its mission.
- Explain how the hierarchy if the Church supports the mission.
- Explain what is meant by the following terms and, if relevant, describe their
relationship to one another: universal church, diocesan church, parish church, bishop, pastor.
- Explain how the Church supports the spiritual life of the faithful.